Last Updated On February 2nd, 2021
So, you are here for the best kitchen tongs. You aren’t lost because this article contains a detailed shopping guide for cooking tongs. Feel welcome!
Of course, tongs are no longer a luxury in a kitchen. The sight and feeling that come with burnt hands or charred fingers are unimaginable. Kitchen tongs can be the savior you need to avoid these scenarios.
Besides, they are versatile equipment that plays many essential roles in traditional and modern kitchens alike. You can’t do without them.
Let’s agree on one thing before we get started. Not any pair of tongs will do the work. Getting the ideal pair that helps you meet your needs is a difficult process. And we are my friend, going to help you with that.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Quick Overview of 3 Best Kitchen Tongs
- 2 Top 10 Kitchen Tongs Reviews
- 2.1 1. ALLWIN-HOUSEWARE W 2 Pack Black Kitchen Tongs
- 2.2 2. Hot Target Set of 3 Stainless Steel Kitchen Tongs
- 2.3 3. Hotec Premium Stainless Steel Locking Kitchen Tongs
- 2.4 4. DRAGONN Premium Set Of 2 Stainless-Steel Locking Kitchen Tongs
- 2.5 5. Hotec Stainless Steel Kitchen Tongs
- 2.6 6. The Original Popco Tongs
- 2.7 7. OXO Good Grips 16″ Tongs Stainless Kitchen Tool
- 2.8 8. StarPack Basics Silicone Kitchen Tongs
- 2.9 9. Walfos Food Grade Stainless Steel Kitchen Tongs for Cooking
- 2.10 10. OXO 1054627 Good Grips 9-Inch Locking Tongs
- 3 How to Choose The Best Kitchen Tongs?
Quick Overview of 3 Best Kitchen Tongs
What Is Tongs And Why You Need It?
Kitchen tongs are small hand-held tools used for gripping, grasping, picking, or lifting food objects. A tong consists of two arms and a handle. The arms are joined in the middle or at one end.
Their design gives them a precision advantage over flippers, forks, and spoons. They are also ideal for serving salad and dishes.
The following are some of the specific reasons why you need kitchen tongs-
- You can use tongs to toss your salad for mixing it properly in the dressing before you serve it.
- Turn meat or hamburgers on the grill or the pan. What would be a better way to barbeque than using tongs?
- Take out larger pieces of food like lobsters and potatoes from a pot of water after boiling them.
- Positioning pasta and other foods correctly in a pot.
- Removing hot food from the oven.
Different Types Of Tongs
There are at least 6 different types of tongs. Shape, size, and preferred usage determines the type that a pair of tongs belongs to. Common types include-
- Flat Kitchen Tongs
The products in this category feature flat ends. Their primary purpose is to hold thicker foods such as burgers, steaks, and lobsters. The major advantage that they come with is their ability to provide maximum stability, thanks to the large surface area.
Modern variations include perforated holding surfaces. Such a feature helps to reduce messy transfers. Common types are pom tongs, salad tongs, gripper tongs, pastry tongs, grill, turner tongs, and fry tongs.
For a long time, the best cooking tongs were always constructed from stainless steel or aluminum. However, modern models feature silicon tops. The relatively soft tips have the ability to handle high heat. Besides, they are gentle on cooking pans.
- Forked Tongs
Serving pasta properly is a cat and mouse game. However, you can make that a great success if you have the right tools. Like in the name, forked tongs feature forked ends to hold loose pieces of food more reliably. Besides, they can toss and plate greens.
They feature wide gaps which can also work as low impact blenders. Therefore, you can easily chop sautéing ingredients or beef to make casseroles.
- Canning Tongs
Preservation of vegies, jellies, jams, and fruits in hot water baths is a time-old activity. But do you find removing jars containing these ingredients from hot water cumbersome? Well, find yourself canning tongs and save your fingers and hands from burning.
- Bamboo Tongs
The precious bamboo tongs trace their origin to Japan. They are a common sight in Japanese restaurants, especially when the guests enjoy their plates of sushi. Moreover, wooden tongs perfectly complement wooden salad bowls if you love matching your tableware.
- Small Tongs
A pair of small tongs is to a chef what the smallest surgical blade is to a surgeon. They help to make the most delicate or intricate touches. You can also use small tongs to move ice into glasses or retrieve ingredients gone astray.
Professionals also use these tweezer-like tongs to decorate plates with greens, fresh herbs, and caviar.
- Extra Long Tongs
Every kitchen has extra-long tongs because they are an essential tool for every chef. They are most ideal for grilling or barbeque purposes as they help to keep your hands away from the heat.
Top 10 Kitchen Tongs Reviews
1. ALLWIN-HOUSEWARE W 2 Pack Black Kitchen Tongs
- It comes in a pack of two tongs.
- One pair is 12 inches long while the other one is 9 inches long.
- It features a pull-ring technology.
- Comes with detachable silicone heads.
A good pair of kitchen tongs are sturdy and guarantees a reliable grip on nearly every piece of food that you hold. That description perfectly fits the versatile ALLWIN-HOUSEWARE W 2 Pack Black Kitchen Tongs.
The high-quality kitchenware features a simple but practical concept. The product comes in a pack of two to provide more versatility for every avid cook. We have an extra-long option at 12 inches, and a smaller version that is 9 inches long.
The device features a Pull-Ring opening and closing mechanism. While the primary benefit of this technology lies in the efficient closing and opening of the silicone tipped tongs, it also helps to prevent any accidental closing or opening. Conveniently, all the control lies with you.
- It is easy to close and open.
- The silicone heads are friendly on your cooking pans.
- The system is heat resistant.
- The silicone won’t stand rough use for longer.
- The ends are considerably shallow.
2. Hot Target Set of 3 Stainless Steel Kitchen Tongs
- Made of thick stainless steel construction.
- They feature a stainless still construction.
- Comes with a non-detachable silicone tip.
- They feature a sleek multi-color finishing.
- Best tongs for cooking large, small, wet, or thin foods.
Every chef wants a pair of tongs that can withstand abuse. The Hot Target Set of 3 Stainless Steel Kitchen Tongs is a perfect tool for that.
The set features a 1-mm thick heavy-duty stainless steel construction. While the material is incredibly lightweight, it is strong and corrosion-resistant to stand the test of time.
These are a great choice for anyone looking for tongs with silicone tips. Those tips not only make them nonstick but also make them compatible with your nonstick pans.
These are typical locking tongs that come in handy for a variety of applications. The shape is fantastic for gripping, tossing, holding, and lifting activities. Moreover, if you like sleek, beautiful cooking and serving tongs then these will be a perfect choice. The multi-color tongs will look amazing in your kitchen or on the table. That’s why this is also one of the best salad tongs that you can get at a reasonable price.
- These are heavy-duty tongs hence durable.
- Easy to clean.
- Comes in a set of 3 pairs of heat resistant tongs of different sizes.
- The silicone material can withstand heat.
- The silicone tips can come off if not properly handled.
3. Hotec Premium Stainless Steel Locking Kitchen Tongs
- The set features stainless steel construction.
- It comes with 2 pairs of tongs measuring 9 and 12 inches.
- The handles and tips have a silicone cushion.
The Hotec Premium Stainless Steel Locking Kitchen Tongs are arguably the best silicone tongs that you will find in the market. They are lightweight yet amazingly sturdy, easy to use, and durable.
Space is a common challenge in most modern kitchens. So, storage for most cookware often comes after making a lot of sacrifices. That should not worry you if you opt for the Hotec Premium tongs.
They are pretty easy to store, thanks to the space-saving design when closed. Besides, the tongs also have a hanging loop that makes storage easy.
Unlike most tongs that only have silicone around the tips, this model has silicone cushions both on the tips and the handle. Such a feature, coupled with the advanced handle design saves your hands from burns. Besides, the design improves grip and eliminates any wobbling.
- The tongs are easy to use.
- The handle design is safe for your hands.
- They come with a stable grip.
- The hanging loop makes storage easy.
- Ideal for both novices and professionals.
- You might need some time to clean them.
4. DRAGONN Premium Set Of 2 Stainless-Steel Locking Kitchen Tongs
- The set is made from heavy-duty stainless steel.
- It comes with 2 pairs of food tongs.
- The handles and tips feature silicone cushioning.
Are you looking for stylish yet functioning BBQ tongs? If that is so, then the DRAGONN Premium Set Of 2 Stainless Steel Locking Kitchen Tongs is what you need. It comes in 9 and 12 inches, the most versatile sizes that every cook would love.
Food tongs for cooking should be comfortable and easy to use. That’s exactly what you get by investing in this best tongs for grilling. The handles feature stable silicone cushioning for a non-slip grip. Besides, they feature a thumb rest for more comfort and convenience.
The most vital purpose of kitchen tongs is to grip foods. That is only possible when the holding end features a perfect gripping edge. This self locking tongs come with raised edges to provide the most secure grip for your foods.
- It is versatile and ideal for grilling, barbeque, and cooking.
- A cushioned nonslip handle enhances comfort and usability.
- The raised edges provide a perfect grip for foods.
- They feature high-quality construction hence durable.
- They are high-priced.
5. Hotec Stainless Steel Kitchen Tongs
- It features stainless steel construction.
- It set comes with 2 pairs of tongs.
- It is dishwasher safe.
Are you looking for a set of chef tongs that goes beyond cooking to make a memorable entry into your table? Trust the Hotec Stainless Steel Kitchen Tongs to perform amazingly in your kitchen and with an unbeatable precision on your table for serving delicious meals.
The 9-inch tong does brilliantly when you need to serve your guests. Since tongs are also used as cooking utensils, you will find the 12-inch tong a perfect tool when you need to prepare a range of dishes. It comes with a perfect length to keep your hands away from heat.
Unlike most options that feature silicone cushioned heads and handles, the metal tongs for cooking comes with an all-metal head. You, therefore, don’t risk your tongs burning or the silicone falling off. The system is dishwasher safe and easy to clean.
- The ergonomic handle would feel comfortable on your hands.
- Ideal for a range of cooking and serving applications.
- The set is easy to clean.
- The metal heads may not be the best for delicate nonstick pans.
6. The Original Popco Tongs
- Features stainless steel construction.
- The set has three pairs of versatile tongs.
- The tongs feature silicone handles and heads.
- They are dishwasher safe.
Original Popco brings unreachable convenience, versatility, longevity, and durability. While such a combination is often hard to come by, The Original Popco Tongs excels in this department.
These are true silicone kitchen tongs that feature food-grade silicone cushioning both at the tips and along with the handle. The reliable padding at the heads makes them a perfect set of tongs for non-stick pans. On the other hand, the padding along the handle makes them comfortable to use.
Do you like cleaning kitchenware? Well, food preparation is an enjoyable process for people enthusiastic about it. But cleaning cookware and other utensils is often a nightmare. The company makes the process of cleaning these tongs pretty easy by making them dishwasher safe. And if you are looking for small kitchen tongs or small metal tongs, then this set is the right one. Because it comes with 3 different sizes tongs from small to large.
- They are moderately priced.
- They are easy to hold and use.
- The silicone heads make them ideal for nonstick frying pans.
- The lock spring isn’t reliable.
- The silicone pieces don’t last as long as the steel.
7. OXO Good Grips 16″ Tongs Stainless Kitchen Tool
- It features stainless steel construction.
- The tongs have an extended length of 16 inches.
- It features silicone-padded handles with a thumb position.
OXO is one of the major kitchenware brands. The Good Grips 16″ Tongs Stainless Kitchen Tool is one of the finest OXO silicone tongs you will find in the market today.
This Oxo good grips tongs stands out in this list for two reasons. First, at 16 inches, they are a true definition of extra-long tongs. The length makes them ideal for most applications that revolve around heat. The length conveniently keeps your hands safe from burning.
Another aspect that makes this product outstanding is the ease of storage. There’s no doubt that we all love long tongs. They make the best BBQ tongs. However, storage is often a serious concern. The 16-inch OXO tongs lock closed to allow for convenient storage.
- They feature a reliable locking mechanism.
- The silicone handles are comfortable.
- Ideal for applications with excessive heat.
- Coordinating longer tongs is often a difficult task as the grip may be a bit weak.
8. StarPack Basics Silicone Kitchen Tongs
- The set contains two tongs.
- It features stainless steel construction.
- The handles and heads feature a reliable silicone padding.
The StarPack Basics Silicone Kitchen Tongs is a perfect option for anyone looking to say goodbye to flimsy cooking tongs. They are made from an extra thick high-quality stainless steel material that gives them the ability to withstand the beating of a busy kitchen.
The best cooking tongs made of premium metal are arguably the most durable and versatile pieces of kitchenware. If you follow the right tips on cleaning and maintenance, then these precious items will serve you for years. Besides, they guarantee a strong grip, a smooth locking mechanism, and stable silicone heads.
The Heavy Duty Kitchen Tongs also fits anyone who values style and design. Though incredibly functional, this spring loaded tongs features a sleek modern design that will blend well with the rest of your kitchen décor.
- Easy to use.
- The locking system is remarkably reliable.
- Ideal for both novices and professional cooks.
- The stainless steel material is rust-proof.
- The entire set is safe for food preparation and serving.
- The edges underneath the handles are considerably sharp.
- Mold may build up behind the silicone tips if not properly maintained.
9. Walfos Food Grade Stainless Steel Kitchen Tongs for Cooking
- The set is constructed from heavy-duty stainless steel.
- It comes in a set of 3 pairs of versatile tongs.
- Features a pull-ring locking mechanism.
- The handles come with a durable silicone padding.
The versatile and long-lasting Walfos Food Grade Stainless Steel Kitchen Tongs is a perfect option for novice and professional cooks. This best grilling tongs come in 3 versatile sizes. Yet, the manufacturer doesn’t include any additional charges.
The sizes include 7-inch, 9-inch, and 12-inch, making them great for a variety of applications. They are ideal for day to day kitchen practices such as flipping fish or burgers, grilling, cutting cooked meat, and barbequing. You can use them for both indoor and outdoor applications.
Food safety is not only about the ingredients but also about the cookware you use during the process of preparation.
Most tongs with silicone tips will always claim to be food safe. However, you are most likely to find silicone particles after years of use. However, you won’t find anything as such with the Waflos tongs.
- The handles are comfortable and safe to hold.
- The pull-ring locking mechanism is reliable.
- No risk of silicone traces in your food as the heads are bare.
- The stainless steel used in the construction is rust-proof.
- They are versatile for a range of outdoor and indoor applications.
- The tips are properly shaped but not as wide.
- May not work well in nonstick pans.
10. OXO 1054627 Good Grips 9-Inch Locking Tongs
- The package contains a single pair of tongs.
- It is 9 inches long.
- The heads have a silicone padding.
We end this review with another OXO product, this time it is the famous OXO 1054627 Good Grips 9-Inch Locking Tongs. The piece of kitchenware is as functional and reliable as it is durable. It is a perfect addition to any kitchen; modern or traditional.
The silicone is perfectly protective and will work well with pans, pots, woks, griddles, and other cookware. These utensils feature unique nylon heads, making them the perfect tongs for nonstick pans.
While tongs can perform a range of functions, their most vital purpose is to help chefs prepare meals. They can only do that if they have the qualities to resist high amounts of heat. With durable stainless steel construction, the OXO 1054627 don’t disappoint in this department.
- It can resist high amounts of heat.
- The nylon heads are safe for nonstick pans.
- You can choose between 9 or 12-inch lengths.
- It is easy to clean and maintain.
- The nylon heads are a bit slippery.
How to Choose The Best Kitchen Tongs?
So, we’re done discussing some of the most functional options that you can opt for. However, we always advise against rush buying. You shouldn’t just choose a product without sorting your preferences.
The following are some of the most essential tips to consider when shopping for cooking tongs-
What do you intend to use the pair of tongs for? List a few applications that will require tongs. The intended applications should help you determine the shape and size of your ideal tongs.
- Padded Or Bare Tips/Heads
Nearly all tongs feature metallic constructions with a major chunk being stainless steel tongs. However, some of them come with padded tips while the rest feature bare tips. Non-padded tips last longer and you can hold them firmer.
But if most of your cookware have nonstick coatings, then you may need to choose tongs with silicone or nylon paddings. This is because they won’t scratch the nonstick coating in your pan or pot. However, be aware of the short durability and safety of the coating.
You are undoubtedly going to use the handles to pick up and toss food and vegetables. So, the handles should better be safe and comfortable.
At the minimum, the handle should not contain any sharp edges. The handles should have a silicon or plastic padding to give your hands a comfortable and stable grip. An ergonomic handle with a thumb rest is an added advantage.
Tongs come in different sizes. The smallest ones are 6 inches long while the elongated ones are as long as 16 inches. The size determines usage and convenience.
The shortest options may be viable for serving foods while the longer options are perfectly ideal for grilling or prepping food.
Generally, tongs come in three most distinctive designs. These include spring-loaded, scissor types, and bent models. Here, the choice depends on personal preference, comfort, and ease of use.
How to Clean Tongs
The following tips should help you clean your tongs-
- Soak in warm soapy water if there are oil stains.
- Do not use harsh detergents on silicone or nylon padded tongs.
- Gently scrub off any stains with a soft brush.
- Rinse off with clean water.
- Toss in a dishwasher if your model is dishwasher safe.
Tips on Using Kitchen Tongs
There is no way we are going to finish the guide without highlighting the essential tips on using a cooking tong. If you are new to using tongs then this section will be of immense help.
- Stay calm around heated objects.
- Hold the handle firmly and ensure that you have a comfortable grip.
- Ensure that you understand the closing and opening mechanisms of the tongs.
- Ensure that the head is stable on the object before lifting or turning.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Who Invented Kitchen Tongs?
A: The first metal tongs were used by Egyptians to hold objects over fire around 1450 BC. And according to Wikipedia, “Asparagus tongs for serving were introduced in 18th-century England”.
Q: What Are The Best Tongs?
A: There are several best-quality tongs available in the market at a reasonable price. If you are looking for the best tongs for non stick pans, then we recommend the “ALLWIN-HOUSEWARE W 2 Pack Black Kitchen Tongs”. The Best Tongs made with stainless steel and silicone materials. The heat resistant ability of this tong is up to 500 degrees F and there is also a locking clip available with this one.
Q: Are Silicone Tongs Safe?
A: Yes. Almost all Silicone Tongs made from premium quality and food-grade silicone materials. Their heat resistant ability 400-600 degrees F. So there is no health issue with Silicone Tongs.
Q: Are Nylon Tongs Safe?
A: To ensure the Nylon Tongs safety, you must choose one that heat resistant ability of more than 400 degrees F. And the good news is, most of the premium quality nylon tongs come with this heat resistant ability.
Q: Does Silicone Melt in Boiling Water?
A: Boiling water temperature is about 200-250 degrees F and good quality silicone heat resistant ability is more than 400 degrees F. So silicone won’t melt in boiling water.
Just like we already noted, not any tong that you find will necessarily meet your needs and desires. You need to invest your money in the best kitchen tongs to ensure that the product achieves what you intended to do with it.
This article contains some of the finest cooking tongs that you can choose from. Even more, the article contains a detailed discussion of different types of kitchen tongs, buying guides, and user tips. Happy Cooking!