You undoubtedly need the finest kitchenware to take your culinary skills to the next level.
An ideal saute pan, for example, helps you to achieve a range of cooking techniques. It also ensures that you deliver the most delicious of dishes.
However, choosing the Best Saute Pan remains one of the most challenging undertakings.
With this detailed article, we’ll help you to save money and valuable time. We’ll also provide you with essential information that will not only help you through the buying process but also help you use, clean, and maintain your sauté pan appropriately.
So let’s delve deeper into the subject, shall we?
Table Of Contents
- 1 What Is Saute Pan And Why You Should Use It
- 2 Top 10 Saute Pan Reviews
- 2.1 Made In Cookware Sauté Pan
- 2.2 Cuisinart 633-24H Chef’s Classic Nonstick 3.5 Quart Sauté Pan
- 2.3 Calphalon Classic Nonstick Sauté Pan With Cover
- 2.4 T-fal G10482 Heatmaster Nonstick Jumbo Cooker
- 2.5 Cuisinart 733-30H Chef’s Classic Stainless 5.5-Quart Sauté Pan
- 2.6 Farberware 21946 Dishwasher Safe Nonstick Jumbo Cooker
- 2.7 SKYLIGHT Stone-Derived Coating Sauté Pan
- 2.8 Calphalon Classic Stainless Steel Saute Pan
- 2.9 Blue Diamond CC01811-001 5QT Sauté Pan
- 2.10 Cuisinart FCT33-28H French Classic Tri-Ply Stainless Sauté Pan
- 3 How To Choose The Best Saute Pan
What Is Saute Pan And Why You Should Use It
Most people use the terms frying pan and saute pan interchangeably. Even more, some people think that these pieces of kitchen equipment can handle similar functions.
But that’s not the ideal case. A saute pan is a different kitchen utensil from a frying pan or a skillet.
A sauté pan is considerably wide kitchenware that features a flat bottom and fairly high, vertical sides. The tops are evenly round to allow for the use of lids. Such design and construction give them the versatility to handle a range of kitchen applications.
On the other hand, skillets or frying pans have sides that flare outwards. Moreover, skillets are shallower hence feature a smaller surface area for food preparation.
While they can handle almost similar cooking applications, a sauté pan remains more versatile.
Quick Overview of 5 Best Saute Pan
|Saute Pan||Image||Editor's Rating||Overview||Price|
|Made In Saute Pan||4.8/5||Brand: Made In Cookware|
Material: Stainless Steel
Weight: 3 Pounds
|Cuisinart 633-24H Saute Pan||4.6/5||Brand: Cuisinart|
Material: Hard Anodized
Weight: 4.7 Pounds
|Calphalon Classic Nonstick Saute Pan||4.7/5||Brand: Calphalon |
Material: Hard-Aanodized Aluminum
Weight: 7.3 Pounds
|T-fal G10482 Jumbo Cooker||4.6/5||Brand: T-fal|
Weight: 5.15 Pounds
|Cuisinart 733-30H Saute Pan||4.5/5||Brand: Cuisinart|
Material: Stainless Steel
Weight: 5 Pounds
Benefits Of Using A Saute Pan
A saute pan is an essential inclusion in every kitchen. While it is a must-have kitchen utensil for anyone who wants to take their sautéing to the next level, it also comes with the following benefits-
- Risk-Free And Easy Cooking- Saute pans make the preparation of meals easy and free from risks. They come with handles that make them safe for handling. You can, therefore, put them into the oven or heat source without burning your hands.
- Space-Saving- Saute pans are fairly compact cookware. While their deep design and construction give them a decent volume to cover versatile cooking, they don’t take much of space in your cabinets or cupboards.
- Good Heat Conductors- This essential cookware is made from good heat conductors to provide them with the required versatility. They are usually highly responsive to heat. Besides, they heat evenly and can as well lose the heat equally.
- Versatility- They deliver the right temperatures for different cooking applications. You can easily sear meat, braise, make sauces, saute, and perform a range of delicate kitchen tasks that most utensils won’t do.
- They Have Lids- Another important aspect of this cookware is the fact that it comes with a lid. You can use the lid to cover your food when cooking. Any serious cook understands that any cookware with a lid comes in handy in many other important ways.
Different Types Of Saute Pans
Saute pans are primarily categorized by the type of material used in their construction as well as other properties. Thus, choosing an appropriate type of sauté pan depends on a variety of factors.
These factors include the type of your cooktop, your preferred method of cooking, your recipe needs, and your budget.
The most common types include-
- Stainless Steel Saute Pans
This is the most common type that you will meet during your shopping. You can as well find good stainless steel saute pan with lid easily. While they don’t comprise the finest heat conductors, they are still famous for a range of reasons.
They are considerately cheaper and easier to maintain. They are non-reactive, non-toxic, non-porous, and highly durable. They also help to make the food brown faster and easier. Finally, stainless steel cookware is ideal for all stovetops including ovens, induction, gas, and broiler.
- Cast Iron Pans
The most popular future of any cast iron cookware is its ability to retain heat for extended periods. They stay hot for longer even after you take them out of the burner or oven. They are, therefore, ideal for preparing foods that require a lot of heating. However, you will need to be careful as food easily sticks on cast iron.
- Copper Pans
The copper options may be slightly expensive. However, they come with some of the most appealing properties for any avid chef. They are some of the finest heat conductors. Besides, they are sleek, nonreactive, non-toxic, non-corrosive, and immensely durable.
Copper pans heat evenly and will cool down a bit quickly. That means that you may not need to pre-heat the kitchenware before you begin to prepare your meal like you would with a cast iron cookware. Since copper is very reactive, the surfaces of copper pans are often lined with stainless steel or aluminum.
- Aluminum Pans
They stand out as the most lightweight pans in the market. So, if that’s a quality you’d want to consider, then anodized aluminum is worth your time and money. They are also sturdy and durable to ensure years of dedicated service. Besides, aluminum is a good conductor of heat.
- Non-Stick Saute Pans
Healthy cooking involves using less fat. That is only possible with non-stick surfaces. So, choose non-stick cookware as they provide the best way to reduce excess oil from your food. At the same time, they prevent your food from sticking into the surfaces. Hence, less scratching of the cookware.
- Ceramic Pans
Pans with ceramic coatings are stunningly attractive. Besides, they are non-reactive and ideal for preparing meals with strong alkaline and acidic ingredients. They are eco-friendly and made from 100% natural ingredients. That means that they don’t have any chemical composition.
While stoneware and clay are an old technique of making cookware, technological advances now enable modern construction of efficient cookware using these traditional materials. They are now available in several colors, shapes, and sizes. Needless to say, these modern varieties are very attractive.
Top 10 Saute Pan Reviews
Made In Cookware Sauté Pan
- It is oven and dishwasher safe.
- It weighs 3 pounds.
- The pan comes with a lid.
- Made from 5-ply stainless steel.
Made In is a reliable cookware manufacturer with an international reputation. It has a range of cookware products for home and commercial use.
The Made In 3.5 Quart Sauté Pan is one of the company’s finest products. It takes the overall spot of the best stainless steel saute pan in this guide.
It features the primary qualities of a typical sauté pan with high walls that enable convenient braising and making of numerous sauce-based dishes. The high walls give it a large cooking area. So, while it is just 9.5 inches wide, this kitchenware features the functionality of a frying pan that is as wide as 12 inches.
The piece of equipment comes with 5-ply stainless steel construction. Such a feature gives it unbeatable durability, thanks to the multiple layers. The 5-play composition also gives it a more reliable heat conductivity and the ability to provide crisper sears.
- The ergonomic handle remains cool and comfortable to handle.
- The construction is strong and durable.
- It features an additional handle to help with the weight.
- It works perfectly with nearly all heat sources.
- 3.5 Quart is considerably small for large applications.
Cuisinart 633-24H Chef’s Classic Nonstick 3.5 Quart Sauté Pan
- It is made from hard-anodized aluminum.
- It features a tempered glass lid.
- It comes with a main handle and a helper handle.
If your most preferred option is to prepare one-dish meals, then you probably need to take a second look at the versatile Cuisinart 633-24H Chef’s Classic Nonstick 3.5 Quart Sauté Pan. It is arguably the best nonstick saute pan with the versatility to handle poultry, meat, fish, and vegetable sauces.
It measures 20 by 10 by 5.6 inches. The width sufficiently gives every good cook the chance to fry a range of foods without crowding. Yet, the depth will still conveniently simmer or braise recipes without any issues.
You will like the tampered glass lid which enables you to have a clear view of your meal when cooking. You, therefore, don’t need to open the lid every time in order to monitor the process. Even more excitingly, the top is contoured to accommodate a pour spout and enable drip-free pouring.
- The pouring process is dip free.
- The interior measurement markings help you get the right quantities.
- You can monitor the cooking process without opening the lid.
- Anodized aluminum ensures even distribution of heat.
- It is susceptible to scratching.
Calphalon Classic Nonstick Sauté Pan With Cover
- It has a 5 Quart capacity.
- It is made from anodized aluminum material.
- The lid is made from tempered glass.
The Calphalon Classic Nonstick Sauté Pan is one of the finest saute pan you will find in the market today. It measures 24.4 by 15.5 by 4.2 inches. Such a size is ideal for considerably larger food portions by providing a wider cooking surface. So if you are looking for the best 5 quart saute pan, then it would be a great fit for you.
It features a dual-layer nonstick anodized aluminum construction. The dual-layer composition guarantees durability. On the other hand, the nonstick feature ensures that food doesn’t stick to the interior surfaces. Therefore, you can easily clean off after use without spending extra cash on any cooking sprays.
The handle comes with an ergonomic design that is long enough for comfort and weight distribution. The handle also stays cool throughout the cooking process. Moreover, there is a helper handle to deal with excessive weight.
- It is versatile and ideal for a range of cooking applications.
- The sides are relatively low for easy flipping, stirring, and turning food.
- The entire set is oven safe.
- The nonstick feature enables easy cleaning.
- The size between the straining lid and the pour spout is too small.
- You will need to wash thoroughly before use.
T-fal G10482 Heatmaster Nonstick Jumbo Cooker
- It is made from multi-layer stainless steel.
- The product is oven and dishwasher safe.
- It comes with a reliable heat indicator.
- It has a capacity of 5 Quart.
The T-fal G10482 Heatmaster Nonstick Jumbo Cooker is another piece of cookware that anyone looking for the best 5-quart saute pan should consider investing in.
It provides uniform heat distribution, thanks to the stainless steel base. There is no risk that your food will burn or cook unevenly. This makes it a perfect product ideal for both professional and novice cooks.
It comes with a reliable heat indicator to eliminate any guesswork in your kitchen. The inbuilt Thermo-Spot indicates when the cooker is ready for use. Besides, the product features an induction base that is ideal for use in any type of cooktops including in ovens.
- It is deep enough for a variety of applications.
- The nonstick coating is durable and scratch-resistant.
- The inbuilt thermos sport alerts you when the cookware is ready.
- It is both oven and dishwasher safe.
- The pan can arrive bent, let the seller know if that happens.
Cuisinart 733-30H Chef’s Classic Stainless 5.5-Quart Sauté Pan
- It comes with a tight-fitting lid.
- Made from a combination of aluminum and stainless steel.
- It is dishwasher safe.
- It features a tapered rim.
Gone are the days when Cuisinart products cost much more than its competitors. Today, while the quality and functional properties remain the same, the products cost just a fraction of what they used to.
The Cuisinart 733-30H Chef’s Classic Stainless 5.5-Quart Saute Pan is a perfect example. It is attractive and features a sleek mirror finish that will look great in your kitchen.
Moreover, the product provides unrivaled professional performance. It is made from high-quality stainless steel and an aluminum encapsulated bottom that guarantees fast and even heat distribution.
The large saute pan comes with a tight-fitting lid that keeps your food protected. Another benefit that comes with tight-fitting is the fact that they lock in flavor for healthier meals. The lid helps to lock in both moisture and nutrients to keep everything within the food.
- Convenient and easy to use.
- The grip handle stays cool and comfortable.
- Tapered rim provides drip-free pouring.
- The aluminum base provides fast and even heat distribution.
- The interior will flake with frequent cleaning in the dishwasher.
Farberware 21946 Dishwasher Safe Nonstick Jumbo Cooker
- It has a capacity of 6 quarts.
- The lid is a see-through design.
- It is nonstick.
- It measures 21.5 x 12.2 x 4.2 inches.
FARBERWARE continues with its renowned tradition of excellence. The Farberware 21946 Dishwasher Safe Nonstick Jumbo Cooker is a perfect product for anyone looking for a functional, large saute pan.
At 6 quarts, this best large saute pan is ideal for busy kitchens and bigger food proportions. It comes in a versatile range of shapes and colors.
Thus, it gives you the flexibility to choose what will blend well with your kitchen and meet your needs. There is no doubt that the dishwasher safe saute pan is ideal for a variety of recipes.
It also features a long, sturdy handle that is easy and convenient to hold. Unlike most pans that come with welded handles, the Farberware 21946 features a double-riveted handle. This guarantees more strength. Besides, it comes with a helper handle which is ideal to carry heavier weight.
- The capacity is ideal for generous side dishes or one-pan recipes.
- It is oven safe.
- It comes in a range of colors.
- The nonstick interiors are durable.
- It is lighter and looks a bit cheaper than most options reviewed here.
SKYLIGHT Stone-Derived Coating Sauté Pan
- It has a capacity of 5 quarts.
- Features a durable stone-coating.
- It comes with a high-quality lid.
- Features an anti-scalding handle.
Any environmentalist will fall in love with eco-friendly cookware, even if it is just about the looks.
That’s why the SKYLIGHT Stone-Derived Coating Saute Pan is a popular choice in millions of kitchens across the globe.
The stone-derived coating draws its origin from Germany. It is a nonstick coating that ensures no food portions are left in the pan. Besides, as with all stone items, it is resistant to rust, corrosion, and scratch. Therefore, it is credible and lasts for a long time.
The product features a unique 3-layer composite bottom. It is, therefore, a heavy-bottomed saute pan that is compatible with all types of heat sources. You can use it with induction, oven, gas, and electric heat sources. It heats fast and evenly hence saves time and energy.
- It saves time and energy.
- The high-quality glass lid prevents splashing.
- Compatible with all heat sources.
- It is coated with eco-friendly stone material.
- It is not the fittest for induction use.
Calphalon Classic Stainless Steel Saute Pan
- It features a flat bottom.
- It has a capacity of 3 quarts.
- Features stainless steel construction with a bonded aluminum base.
Another Calphalon kitchenware makes it to our list of top 10 saute pan reviews, this time it is the famous Calphalon Classic Stainless Steel Cookware.
It makes it to this list primarily because of its remarkable looks, functional features, and unmatchable durability.
The classic and best saute pan with lid ensures that you don’t fumble with your measurements, thanks to the interior fill lines that are incorporated into the design. Measuring your ingredients will be easy and accurate. It also has to strain holes and the spout that allows easy pouring.
It features a flat bottom that makes searing a breeze. The walls are comparatively low but ideal for a 3-quart pan. The low sides allow air into your food and in turn, enhances crispness. Don’t get that twisted and think that liquid foods will splatter. The sides hold up pretty well.
- The ergonomic handle is safe and easy to handle.
- It is ideal for both novice and professional cooks.
- It is perfectly safe for the broiler, oven, and stove.
- It is dishwasher safe and easy to clean.
- Three quarts is a small capacity for big recipes.
Blue Diamond CC01811-001 5QT Sauté Pan
- Made from aluminum and ceramic nonstick coating.
- It has a capacity of 5 QT but comes in a range of sizes.
- It comes with a tight-fitting lid.
- Features a forged base.
Are you looking for a deep saute pan? Are you interested in cookware that will handle nearly all cooking applications? Well, the Blue Diamond CC01811-001 5QT Sauté pan is a perfect option if that is what you are looking for.
The kitchenware is perfectly designed yet good enough for your health. The ceramic and metal construction means that the cookware is free from toxins like lead, cadmium, PFOA, and PFAS.
Unlike most nonstick coatings that will begin to scratch off after a few days of cleaning, the diamond-infused ceramic coating of this covered saute pan will last for a long time. The manufacturer ensures that the coating is five times harder and will conveniently last for up to ten times longer.
- The nonstick ceramic coating provides effortless cleanup.
- Perfect for all stovetops.
- The coating is free from toxins and chemicals.
- The handle can get a bit hot so grip carefully.
Cuisinart FCT33-28H French Classic Tri-Ply Stainless Sauté Pan
- A deep saute pan with ergonomic handle.
- Made from a combination of stainless steel and aluminum.
- It has a capacity of 5.5 quarts.
- It weighs 7 pounds.
Do you save the tastiest bite for the last? We do too! That’s why we’re discussing Cuisinart FCT33-28H Sauté Pan at the very bottom of our list.
It is a straight-sided saute pan that guarantees remarkable heat distribution. It features a stay-cool handle that ensures that you get a comfortable grip. Besides, the handle is perfectly contoured, ergonomic, and good-looking.
It features an aluminum core that is covered with pure and high-quality stainless steel. Such a combination not only guarantees top-notch performance but also enhances durability.
You will also like the convenience that comes with a versatile range of uses. You can sear, braise, saute, fry, stir fry, and bake conveniently using the pan.
- Ideal for induction stovetops.
- It is versatile and perfect for a range of cooking applications.
- The stainless steel material is easy to clean.
- The handle is relatively heavier than the body.
How To Choose The Best Saute Pan
Every kitchen, home or commercial, needs a set of saute pans. As for the type of frying pan that you may need will depend on your needs and preferences. Some of the factors to consider include-
- Type Of Material
The type of material you choose will determine toxicity, safety, durability, stickiness, and stove compatibility, among other factors. Each type of material comes with its advantages and disadvantages. We already discussed the most common types of materials earlier in this guide that you can conveniently refer to.
- Type Of Lid
Nearly all saute pans come with lids. However, the choice of lid type will depend entirely on your preference. You can have tight-fitting lids or snugly fitting lids. While tight-fitting lids come in handle in containing the moisture and the flavor of your ingredients, they may be more difficult to take off.
- Type Of Handle
Firstly, a handle is an essential part of a saute pan. So, all saute pans come with handles. But what’s the ideal type handle?
Go for a pan with an ergonomic handle for a comfortable grip. You will also need to choose a handle that is properly insulated to prevent your hands from burning.
In terms of durability, choose riveted handles over welded types as riveted options are more durable.
Finally, consider cookware with helper handles as that will be beneficial with excessive weights. Top rated saute pans have handles that are durable and capable of supporting the pan when full.
This should be pretty straight forward. What’s the volume of your most popular recipes? The capacity of saute pans is measured in quarts. The smallest options have a capacity of 2 quarts while there are larger capacities.
The depth of your saute pan determines the amount and types of ingredients that you can use in the pan. While nearly every saute pan is straight-walled, a deep saute pan prevents splatter.
- Stick Or Nonstick
If you think that a natural saute pan is ideal for most of your kitchen, go for it by all means. However, note that natural finish pans are pretty more difficult to clean. On the other hand, nonstick cookware doesn’t allow food to stick even without the use of cooking sprays.
How to Clean and Take Care Your Saute Pan
One of the most important things to remember when cleaning your saute pan is to avoid using an abrasive scourer or sponge.
The trick, therefore, is to clean gently to avoid scratching or peeling off any nonstick coating. Use soapy, lukewarm water to wash off the food remnants, and rinse in clean water. Use a soft cloth to dry it.
Tips on Using Sauté Pan
Use the following tips when using a sauté pan
- Don’t cook on too high heat.
- Do not use metal utensils when cooking in your sauté pan as they will probably scratch the nonstick coating.
- Use soft rubber, plastic, or wooden utensils instead.
- Clean after each use and dry in the open air.
- Limit use in the dishwasher as much as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What Can You Cook in a Saute Pan?
A: There are so many recipes that you can cook with a saute pan. Generally, this pan is ideal for cooking food with liquids like poaching, braising, sautéing, searing, etc.
Q: Do I Need to Season a Stainless Steel Saute Pan?
A: Depends on the pan that you own. Some stainless steel sauteuse pan needs to season and some don’t before first use. So check the manufacturer’s guide about seasoning before first use.
Q: Can a Cuisinart Saute Pan go in an Oven?
A: Almost all models of Cuisinart Saute Pans can use in the oven. But we recommend using only stainless steel one for a
regular basis. If you use nonstick saute pan in the oven regularly, it may damage the nonstick property of the pan.
Q: Should a Saute Pan be Non-Stick?
A: Depends on the foods that you want to cook. Normally nonstick helps to cook food with less oil and they are also easy to clean.
Q: Can You Fry Food in a Saute Pan?
A: Yes but not saute pan not friendly for frying foods.
The Best Saute Pan must be reliable and convenient. That’s the point of using one, right?
While choosing any cookware is a difficult undertaking, you shouldn’t invest in a worthless piece of equipment just for the sake of it.
Hopefully, this article will help you to choose an appropriate saute pan that meets your needs.