If you love to cook, you might be selective about your cooking ingredients, tools, cookware, etc. and if you like Asian cousin especially Chinese dishes, you may have used or want to use a traditional Chinese wok once in a life. Carbon steel woks are one of the versatile vessels to make authentic Asian cuisines. That is why it’s now popular all over the world after China.
In today’s article, we are going to talk about some Best Carbon Steel Wok, especially for home usage.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Quick Comparison of 5 Best Carbon Steel Wok
- 2 10 Best Carbon Steel Wok Reviews
- 2.1 Craft Wok Traditional Hand Hammered Carbon Steel Pow Wok
- 2.2 Joyce Chen 21-9972, Classic Series Carbon Steel Wok Set
- 2.3 Helen Chen’s Asian Kitchen Flat Bottom Wok
- 2.4 14 Inches Carbon Steel Wok with Helper Handle
- 2.5 Joyce Chen 22-0060, Pro Chef Flat Bottom Wok Uncoated Carbon Steel
- 2.6 KEN HOM Nonstick Carbon Steel Wok – Flat Bottom Asian Stir Fry Pan
- 2.7 Big 16 Inch Heavy Canton Style Hand Hammered Carbon Steel Wok
- 2.8 Timoney Carbon Steel Pow Wok
- 2.9 Traditional Hand Hammered Carbon Steel Pow Wok
- 2.10 Sur La Table Professional Carbon Steel Wok 21-9969
- 3 Benefits of Using Carbon Steel Wok
Quick Comparison of 5 Best Carbon Steel Wok
|Carbon Steel Wok||Image||Editor's Rating||Brand||Size||Weight|
|Craft Wok Hand Hammered Carbon Steel Wok||4.5/5||Craft Wok||14 Inch||4.7 Pounds|
|Joyce Chen 21-9972 Carbon Steel Wok||3.8/5||Joyce Chen||14 Inch||5.4 Pounds|
|Helen Chen's Flat Bottom Wok||3.8/5||Helen Chen's Asian||12-14 Inch||5 Pounds|
|Carbon Steel Wok with Helper Handle||4.4/5||M.V. Trading||12-16 Inch||5 Pounds|
|Joyce Chen 22-0060 Carbon Steel Wok||4.2/5||Joyce Chen||14 Inch||4.2 Pounds|
10 Best Carbon Steel Wok Reviews
Here we tried and tested ten different size and features of carbon-steel wok that you could use at home. Have a look below.
Craft Wok Traditional Hand Hammered Carbon Steel Pow Wok
So our first best carbon steel wok review is for Craft Wok Traditional Hand Hammered Carbon Steel Wok. It is a wheel or round traditional Chinese wok which made for fast frying and frequent stirring. Additionally, the pan is used for deep frying food in hot oil and made different types of curry and soups. Like, other woks you can use a steamer and smoker.
The craft wok traditional hand hammed carbon steel wok is made of 15-gauge carbon steel and was first designed in 2014. It comes with wooden handles with a helper handle attached. It’s a 22.5 x 14 x 6 inches vessel with 4.49 pounds. You will need a good amount of oil to season the wok for any frying.
- Made of commercial grade carbon steel.
- Traditional Chinese round wok for stir fry, curries, deep fry.
- Steel helper-handle good for hanging.
- Wooden heat-proof handle.
- It’s not suitable for glass stoves and electric.
Joyce Chen 21-9972, Classic Series Carbon Steel Wok Set
If you want a complete set then Joyce Chen 21-9972, Classic Series Carbon Steel Wok is perfect to choose. This one comes with1-1/2 mm carbon steel made wok, same metal domed lid, and a bamboo spatula.
The ring of the main handles and the helper handle is easier for hanging in racks. With the proper amount of seasoning, you can make Tofu, pork, vegetable stir-fry, and Szechwan beef. The set comes under budget so not only for personal use you can consider it as present to give on various occasions.
The size of the wok is 23.2 x 14 x 5.6 inches and weighs 5.6 lbs. The classic series of the skillet is easy to clean also. You can clean it by hand as like other cooking vessels.
- Comes with dome lids and a bamboo utensil.
- Heat up fast and evenly.
- Heat-proof wooden handle with an opposite helper.
- Safe for use in gas, electric stoves or open fire.
- Recipe book included.
- Not dishwasher safe.
- Need the right amount of oil for seasoning for first few usages.
Behind making this wok-brand and its glorious history there was one woman, Helen Chen. She was an Asia culinary expert and Author. She was incorporating the modern and traditional design of wok which leads to this one.
If you like woks but confused about its doomed structure, therefore it’s not suitable for using all type of stoves. But if you have Helen Chen’s Asian Kitchen Flat Bottom Wok all your problem will be solved. This wok heats up evenly comes with a lid, handles, and spatula. It’s a 14- inches carbon steel wok with lid which made of 1.6 heavy gauge carbon steel for speedy heat conduction the dimension of the wok is 19 x 14 x 10, and it weighs a total 5 lbs. Overall, it’s easy to work with.
Also Check: Best Fondue Pot Set
- Suitable for all kind of frying, steaming, stewing and sautéing.
- Include heat resistant bamboo handle and helper handle.
- Heat up fast and evenly.
- Has flat bottom and usable with gas, electric and induction cooktops.
- Comes with bamboo handle, lid, and spatula.
- Suitable with induction cooktop also.
- Need proper care to maintain its quality.
14 Inches Carbon Steel Wok with Helper Handle
So here is another simple and efficient carbon steel wok with helper handle. It’s made of heavy gauge carbon steel wok, has a flat bottom, wooden handle and helping handle, etc. this one is suitable to use on the grill, stoves, ceramic stoves, etc. the wooden side spool handles makes the string, tossing much better.
The dimension of the wok is 14.3 x 14.3 x 6.8 inches and weighs 5.2 pounds. Where a wok set weighs 5 or 6 lbs, this one individually weighs 5 lbs. However, the heat distribution and making different causing in it is advantageous.
Due to its flat bottom placing should not that difficult. But the pan is bit heavy, and the base rotates left and right when you are string without grip the handle.
- Flat bottom so easy to work with.
- It is made of industrial grade high-quality steel.
- Fast, even heating.
- The wooden handle allows more control.
- Easy to wash (hand washes only).
- Deep pan.
- Not so well balanced.
Here is another incredible entrepreneur who made some fantastic Asian cookware that could stand on a higher standard of Chinese cousin. Joyce Chen made a brand of her own and made this Pro Chef Flat Bottom Wok Uncoated Carbon Steel. This one weighs only 2 lbs, 14 inches in diameter and made of heavy-gauge carbon-steel.
Comparison to other wooden handle and loop this one has got much more modern and efficient parts. The black square-shape wooden handles and loop is convenient and seems attractive.
Now the performance. You can try any cooking on it. The pot has enough thickness that holds the heat for better cooking. But use low to medium flame if you don’t want to burn anything.
You need to wash the professional carbon steel flat bottom wok with hot water only. For removing brunt foods, use warm water and a scouring pad. If you use soap, the seasoning will be gone. For better performance wipe with few drops of oil before storing.
- Flat bottom wok with excellent round shape.
- Suitable to use on gas and electric stoves.
- It is made of heavy gauge-carbon.
- Lightweight and easy to use.
- The handle and loop are firm and suitable for hanging storage.
- Sensitive to high fame, could burn the food in no time.
The best carbon steel wok should all of it. And KEN HOM Nonstick Carbon Steel Wok – Flat Bottom Asian Stir Fry Pan has it all. It has a smooth and sleek nonstick surface, induction capability, unique flat bottom and it’s also dishwasher safe. The nonstick surface does not contain anything like Teflon. The coating is PFOA free, and both of the surface-inner and out are safe- nonstick.
The flat bottom does not wobble, even and sturdy. Its heat up quickly and requires less season to cook. The reverted handles won’t transfer the heat so you can work with the pan safely. It’s suitable for hand wash, but still, you have the option to clean it dishwasher. KEN HOM Nonstick Carbon Steel Wok comes with two years of warranty also.
- Nice and smooth surface for cooking with low seasoning.
- Very easy to clean.
- The handle never gets warm.
- Has to loop for hanging storage.
- The handles do not feel too sturdy, need to tighten after a few usages. But it could be our batch that was had this problem.
Big 16 Inch Heavy Canton Style Hand Hammered Carbon Steel Wok
If you want a slightly big size form 14 inches wok, then our next pick will suit your need. This one is 16 inches and weighs 5 pounds. It’s a little heavy wok and has two helper handle rather than wooden handles.
The wok is made of 1.8 mm carbon steel heavy duty metal which doesn’t rust and also for long time usage. This traditional Chinese wok pan needs to season in the proper amount. It’s hand-hammered and heats up quickly. You can make fried rice, tempura, Chinese, curry, Sakana grill and many more Asian-Chinese item without any glitch.
- Does not stick the food.
- Suitable for heavy professional usage.
- Super quick to clean.
- Heavy duty metal.
- The rim is uneven.
- Not suitable for glass top stove.
Timoney Carbon Steel Pow Wok
The Timoney Carbon Steel Pow Wok is traditional uncoated wok. It offers a perfectly smooth surface which can make stir-fried rice, sauté vegetables in high flam within in few mins. The wok is made of high quality wrought iron. Compare to carbon-steel wok it’s more durable and dense. You can use it for longer and get a better effect. This kind of wok may give you complication at first few usages, but as it gets older, the performance gets better gradually.
The dimension of the wok is 22.8 x 14.02 x 5.98 in and weighs 2.9 lbs. It comes with a wooden handle and attaches a helper handle for better moving.
- Suitable use in high heat.
- Heat-proof wooden handle.
- Smooth surface does not let stick the food.
- Hand-hammered improved quality.
- Lightweight easy to work with.
- The edges feel sharp.
- Comparison to its actual price the need to be well-finished.
Traditional Hand Hammered Carbon Steel Pow Wok
Here is another carbon steel wok for daily frying, sauté or steam. This one is a little bigger then the previous- its 16 inches. It’s made of 1.8 mm commercial quality carbon steel metal. The wok is hand hammered by professional blacksmiths in Guangdong, China. The structure of the wok is pretty basic. It has a round bottom, bamboo handle, and a metal helper.
The wok weighs 4.8, and its dimension is 22.5x14x6 inches. The inner surface of the wok is better to cook food without sticking. With proper seasoning, you can make anything it if you face any problem or do not like the wok you have full freedom to return it. The company provides 100% satisfaction guaranteed and a lifetime warranty to cover defects.
- Bigger pan means a bigger space.
- Suitable for high flame usage.
- Easy to clean up.
- Heavy duty bottom.
- Perfect for the gas, grill and open fire.
- The rim of the wok is very sharp.
Sur La Table Professional Carbon Steel Wok 21-9969
The wok 21-9960 from Sur La Table professional carbon steel wok is a Taiwan made product. It’s like the other 14 inches traditional woks that are perfect for frying tempura, fried rice, etc. in the large amount.
It’s made of .8 mm thick carbon steel has maple wood handle and wooden helper. Comparison to usual wok this one is much more convenient for any food without sticking. It heats up very quick but evenly. Also, need a sufficient amount of oil for seasoning. If you are a diet conscious person, remove the excess fat after the pan is well seasoned.
- Beautiful smooth inner surface for the string.
- Fast shipping.
- Lightweight and easy to handle.
- Easy to clean.
- Long wooden handle.
- String food in the wok left it wet may lead to rust.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: What is Wok?
A: A Wok is a traditional Chinese cooking vessel that could be made of Stainless Steel, Cast Iron or Carbon Steel. This is mainly round bottomed cookware that mainly popular for making Chinese and Asian dishes. But now-a-days, Wok is also available in flat bottom and used worldwide for making different type dishes.
Q: What is the Best Wok for Gas Stove?
A: There are different type of Wok available in the market from several manufacturers. You can choose any wok that made of Carbon Steel or Cast Iron for the Gas Stove. A flat bottom wok is ideal for the gas stove but you can also use round bottom wok with the help of wok ring (if need).
Q: Is Carbon Steel Toxic?
A: No, carbon steel is not toxic and don’t leach any harmful chemicals/materials during cooking.
Q: Can I Use a Wok on a Glass Top Stove?
A: Yes, you can use a Wok on a Glass Top Stove, Ceramic Stove or Electric Stove.
Q: What is the difference between Cast Iron and Carbon Steel Wok?
A: The main difference is their materials. Cast Iron Wok made of cast iron materials where Carbon Steel Wok made of Carbon Steel Materials. But carbon steel wok is most popular and ideal for cooking traditional/Chinese dishes than cast iron wok.
Currently, you will see a lot of variation to choice form wok in the market. A traditional wok can develop a spate flavor in food with proper seasoning and with the right cooking method. As long you use a wok it will create its patina to more comfortable the cooking. So knowing the using, cleaning methods with buying the right wok is very important. If you are beginner research and work more with your wok.
Our top editor’s choice for the best wok is Joyce Chen 21-9972, Classic Series Carbon Steel Wok Set. It’s a full set with lid and bamboo utensil. Its easy wok for beginners and require less attention to maintain. So, you can take this item as a quick suggestion on buying the Best Carbon Steel Wok from us from other reviews.