Why people are so affectionate to tea?
The truth is that any connoisseurs of tea, coffee, or hot beverages made from dried herbs will tell you that tea is a beverage for all seasons. Besides, you can consume them at home, in a restaurant, or on the go.
There is no doubt that a good cup of tea is determined by the quality of tea leaves that you use. However, any avid tea or coffee taker is also picky about tea or coffee cup.
An attractive, proper cup set can make or break your tea drinking experience. You can improve your tea making and drinking practice with the Best Tea Cups.
However, getting the finest tea cup or mug is a challenging task. This review and buying guide solely aims to make the task easier.
Quick Overview of 5 Best Tea Cups
|Tea Cup/Mug||Image||Editor's Rating||Overview||Price|
|Sweese 403.001 Porcelain Cappuccino Cups||4.9/5||Brand: Sweese|
Quantity: 6 Piece
Weight: 5.62 Pounds
|Kati Cup Ceramic Tea Infuser Cup||4.7/5||Brand: Tea Forte|
Quantity: 1 Piece
Weight: 1.3 Pounds
|Porcelain Tea Sets British Royal Series||4.8/5||Brand: Pukka Home|
Quantity: 22 Piece
Weight: 10.25 Pounds
|Ceramic Tea Cup with Infuser Basket||4.6/5||Brand: Tea Forte|
Quantity: 1 Piece
Weight: 13.6 Ounces
|Porcelain Stackable Espresso Cups||Brand: Sweese|
Quantity: 13 Piece
Weight: 3.4 Pounds
Different Types Of Tea Cups
A tea cup is not just a regular cup. Instead, there is a classification of tea cups based on the origin and material properties that they are made from. Popular types of tea cups include-
Japanese Tea Cups
Japanese tea cups are one of the most popular types that you will find in the market today. They are a favorite with millions of tea takers.
This category includes modern and traditional tea cups of a wide range of sizes. It also includes a versatile range of antique matcha bowls. The cups add pleasure, harmony, respect, serenity, and safety to your tea taking experience.
The Japanese tea cups are further categorized as follows-
- Yunomi- This is arguably the most common type that any tea lover would use for informal or daily tea taking. They are cylindrical and have a capacity ranging from 90ml to 160ml. The category includes Hagi, Shino, Mashiko, and Karatsu.
- Chawan- It is a wide matcha drinking bowl specific for traditional Japanese tea drinking rituals. Chawan comes in different shapes which include cylindrical, half-cylindrical, and conical shapes. No matter whichever shape it takes, the interior wall is slightly curved at the bottom. They are not heavy, hence pretty comfortable to hold.
- Machawan- This is specifically a bowl used when taking powdered tea. You can use Chawan and Machawan interchangeably. However, Chawan remains a more famous option than the latter.
Chinese Tea Cups
Tea is native to China. It is for that reason that the world credits China with some of the most remarkable contributions to teaware. So, if you are meticulous about tea and anything that goes with it, then there is no doubt that you need to know about Chinese tea cups and teapots.
Chinese teaware dates back to centuries. The contribution has been made across dynasties for a long period. Notable dynasties include the Song Dynasty, Ming Dynasty, Qing Dynasty, Kangxi Dynasty, Yongzheng Dynasty, and Qianlong Dynasty.
More recently, the classification of Chinese cups now revolves around the following-
- Filtering Tea Cups- Filtering teacups and mugs primarily filter tea during tea taking. This type of cup is often designed and made with functional internal filters. They are further subdivided into the following;
- Poet Filtering Cups- These are made from porcelain and specifically meant for taking loose tea leaves. It is a tea cup with lid and features an internal porcelain filtering mechanism. The lid allows tea leaves to expand and infuse fully into your drink for a more authentic taste.
- Yixing Clay Filtering Mug- This mug is native to Jiangsu province. Made from purple clay, this type of tea mug can absorb the aromas and flavors of the tea. It also features an internal filter and stands out like a mug that will conveniently cool to the sense of touch even when the tea is hot.
- Specialty Tea Cups- This category of tea cups includes Four-Season Character Tea Cups and Small Peony Flower Gaiwan Tea Cups. They are arguably the best porcelain tea cups that you will find in the market.
- Cast Iron Tea Cups- If you have a cast iron teapot, then you will find the black cast iron tea cups a great companion for the teapot. It is a classical option manufactured from high-quality cast iron with an enamel coating in the interior to prevent rusting.
Tea Cup Vs Mug
Most people use the words cup and mug interchangeably with the assumption that they mean the same thing. That is not true. The two words mean different items.
By definition, a teacup is flat, wide and comes with a saucer. The combination is purposefully designed for holding and taking tea. Common materials used for making tea cups include glass, porcelain, and ceramic.
Tea cups have an average capacity of between 150ml to 190ml depending on the level of tea poured. However, the Chinese have smaller variants that hold between 30ml to 60ml of tea.
On the other hand, while tea mugs are famous containers used for holding and taking tea, they are considerably bigger and taller. They have a larger capacity of between 350ml to 500ml. Popular materials for making tea mugs include glass and ceramic.
Tea Cup Vs Coffee Cup
Do you always wonder what differences lie between a coffee cup and a tea cup? Well, keep your cool! We are going to tackle that in this section.
Firstly, let’s take note of the fact that the primary difference lies in the shape. For example, a tea cup has a wide-open rim tapering down to a considerably smaller base. On the other hand, a coffee cup has a vertical handle.
Another distinctive feature about the two lies in the size of their handles. Whereas a tea cup features a smaller handle ideal for hooking a single finger, the handle of a coffee cup will conveniently bigger to allow in two or three fingers.
In terms of size, coffee cups are smaller to allow for serving small concentrated portions of coffee as was in the past. On the other hand, tea cups are considerably larger to allow for the addition of milk and stirring of sugar, honey or any other additives.
Top 10 Best Tea Cups Reviews
Sweese 403.001 Porcelain Cappuccino Cups with Saucers
- They come in a set of 6 pieces.
- Each cup has a capacity of 6 ounces.
- The set comes with a matching set of saucers.
- Made from pro-grade porcelain.
Being a tea lover is one thing, but loving the simple and stylish look that comes with the finest porcelain cups defines your enthusiasm for your tea.
The Sweese Porcelain Cappuccino Cups is a good purchase for anyone who loves remarkable style coupled with authenticity and unbeatable simplicity.
Thus, you can enjoy the diversity of a range of refreshing beverages. These cups are versatile and ideal for taking cappuccino, mocha, latte, and expresso. That means that the cups will not restrict you from taking only tea all year long.
At 6 ounces, the cappuccino cups have a perfect capacity for any avid tea lover. The set of 6 has a matching 6 pieces of saucers to help hold your cup when taking tea. The combination is made from professional-grade porcelain and has a startling white finish that is both stylish and presentable.
Check: Best Cast Iron Tea Kettle
- The set is dishwasher safe.
- The finish is ideal for a range of dining environments.
- It is versatile and ideal for a range of hot beverages.
- Comfortable and easy to handle.
- They will seem smaller if you take a good quantity of tea at a go.
Tea Forte Kati Cup Ceramic Tea Infuser Cup
- It is made from ceramic material.
- It comes with an infuser.
- Features a fitting lid.
Are you a traveler who wants to travel along with your passion for tea? Are you looking for a ceramic tea mug with lid? Are you looking for the best tea infuser travel mug to accompany you wherever you go?
If your answer to any of the questions is yes, then the Tea Forte Kati Cup Ceramic Tea Infuser Cup is worth your time and money. The deep, large capacity tea mug is made from stainless steel. The Tea Forte Kati Cup is, therefore, durable and will withstand frequent usage and movement.
Also worth noting is the fact that the cup comes with a lid to keep your drink hot as you sip. The insulated double wall also complements the lid in keeping your tea hot for an extended period.
- Large capacity offers you enough drink for longer periods.
- It features an elegant design with decorations.
- Keeps your drink hot for longer.
- The functional infuser cleans off residue off your lid.
- It comes with a small handle.
Pukka Home Porcelain Tea Sets
The set comes with the following-
- 6 cups.
- 6 saucers.
- A single teapot.
- A tea strainer.
- A sugar bowl.
- 6 teaspoons.
- A single cream pitcher.
The Pukka Home Porcelain Tea Sets British Royal Series is a favorite option for homeowners looking to get more for less. The set doesn’t cost much. Yet, it comes with unbeatable quality.
The porcelain tea sets are made from high-quality materials to last you for several years and withstand strenuous usage. The packaging features a fashionable and sturdy outer box to keep the utensils safe and secure during shipment or delivery.
If you value style, then you will like the unique nature of the British Royal Series Set. They are presentable and come with a cake stand to help serve your guests at weddings, tea parties, dinner parties, etc.
- It is moderately priced.
- A complete set that needs no additions.
- It is simple, beautiful, and elegant.
- Easy to clean and maintain.
- It is thicker and heavier than most sets.
- The teaspoons are light and look cheap.
Tea Forte Kati Cup Ceramic Tea Infuser Cup
- It features a unique but simple design.
- It comes in a large capacity for avid tea takers.
- It comes with a lid to keep your tea hot for longer.
Since there are a variety of products available in the market, it is not so often that we review two different from a single company.
However, we couldn’t leave out the blue option of the blue model of the Tea Forte Kati Cup Ceramic Tea Infuser Cup.
It is one of the best travel tea mugs that every enthusiast will consider ideal for steeping themselves. The lid helps to keep your tea contained, hot, and perfectly fresh. It is also worth mentioning that the fine tea infuser is easy to clean and works efficiently to keep off residue.
The tea mug not only features an outstanding design but also works exceptionally well to make your tea brewing experience more enjoyable and memorable.
- The stylish design is a good gift to friends and family.
- Comes with a reliable tea infuser to keep off residue.
- It is easy to clean and use.
- Ideal for travelers.
- The handle is too small.
Sweese 404.002 Porcelain Stackable Espresso Cups
- Each cup has a capacity of 2.5 ounces.
- They come with a metallic stand.
- Each cup has a corresponding holding saucer.
Sweese is a big brand in the manufacturing of both tableware and kitchenware. It is, therefore, impossible to talk about any culinary items without mentioning a top Sweese brand.
The Sweese Porcelain Stackable Espresso Cups is another notable inclusion to their fine line of teaware. The set contains small cups and a matching number of saucers.
At a paltry 2.5 ounce, they are ideal for tea lovers who want to enjoy a coffee taking experience similar to that of a java or coffee house, thanks to their café-like look.
Is your cupboard or cabinet short of space but you still want to include tea cups into your collection? The Sweese 404.002 comes in handy for anyone who wants to save on space. The porcelain cups and saucers come with a metallic stand where you can neatly stack the cups and saucers.
- They are small and gives you an unbeatable café experience.
- Comes in a range of stylish colors.
- They are stackable for convenient storage.
- You can clean them in the dishwasher.
- The set is small for tea but perfect for espresso.
Porcelain Tea Sets British Royal Series
This set contains the following-
- 6 pieces of 8-ounce cups.
- 6 saucers.
- One 28-ounce teapot.
- A single sugar bowl with a lid.
- 6 teaspoons.
- A single creamer pitcher.
Looking for a way to make your home sweet, enjoyable, and also deliver unbeatable coffee taking experience with a single device?
Then you need to put your money on the white, trendy, and functional British Royal Series Porcelain Tea Sets.
The set is a combination of 22 exquisite pieces of glazy cutlery. The cups feature a startling gold trim and a presentable pumpkin shape that any tea lover will be attracted to.
The versatile set employs both contemporary and traditional tastes. Consisting of cups, saucers, teaspoons, a sugar bowl, a teapot, and a creamer pitcher, this is a product that will find a versatile list of uses on your table.
- It is stylish and presentable.
- Comes with all the complementing culinary items.
- Made from high-quality pro-grade porcelain.
- It is pretty easy to clean.
- It doesn’t come with the display stand.
- The cups will break easily if mishandled.
Sweese 405.001 Porcelain Stackable Espresso Cups
- Each cup has a capacity of 6 ounces.
- The set contains 6 cups.
- Comes with a matching number of saucers.
- It features a stacking stand.
Another Sweese model makes it to our list, this time the Sweese 405.001 Porcelain Stackable Espresso Cups. The cups come with a matching set of saucers. They feature a classic design but you will also fall in love with their impressive functional ability.
While these sets are perfect for an exceptional tea drinking experience, they come in handy when you need to enjoy other drinks as well. They are great for espresso, café latte, mochaccino, coffee, cappuccino, and a range of hot beverages.
Each of these properly designed cups is favorably thick and works well to hold in the heat in your tea and keep it hot for longer periods.
Besides, the saucers are a perfect size for the bottom of the cups. The cups, therefore, will certainly not slide off once placed on the saucers.
- The set features a clean and elegant look.
- You can stack the cups to help save space.
- The cups are easy to move once stacked in the stand.
- They are strong and durable.
- Some of the cups will chip with frequent cleaning in a dishwasher.
Kitchables Coffee Or Tea Glasses
- It comes in a set of 4 pieces.
- The mugs have a capacity of 8 ounces.
Well, this review has long been about porcelain or ceramic tea cups. We make a slight shift to discuss a glass set.
It is not a coincidence that the Kitchables Coffee or Tea Glasses makes it to this list. The insulated glasses are exceptionally functional, perfect for espresso, coffee, cappuccino, and tea drinks.
The insulation on the glasses helps to keep your tea warmer. So, even with a hot drink in the cup, your fingers are kept safe and cool. This is due to the impressive functional combination of the double-walled glass and the heat-resistant glass.
The mugs feature a unique shape and design that blends well with the rest of your kitchenware. But more importantly, the glassware that the mugs are made from is sturdy and durable. They are shatterproof, safe, and scratch-resistant.
- The double walls improve durability.
- They are dishwasher and microwave safe for more convenience.
- You can use them for a range of purposes.
- The bottom is too rounded so there remains a small chance of spillage.
COAWG Glass Tea Cup
- The glass mug has a capacity of 12 ounces.
- The package includes one spoon.
The COAWG Glass Tea Cup doesn’t make it to this list just because of the material. Instead, it features here because of its splendid handmade design, quality, and high capacity.
The delicate enamel mug features an impressive handmade flower design. It is a fabulous addition to any home, office, or restaurant. It will also make a perfect gift for any friend, colleague, or family who treasures coffee, tea, lattes, espresso, macchiato, and hot cocoa to mention a few.
Do you take a lot of tea at a go? The COAWG Glass Tea Cup gives you a perfect option if you value quality and quantity both. At 12 ounces, it is certain that you will have enough to satisfy your mind.
- It features a sleek handmade design.
- Ideal as a gift to people you treasure.
- You can conveniently see into your glass.
- It can withstand high temperatures.
- It is not microwave, or dishwasher safe.
- Shouldn’t be cleaned with strong alkaline or acidic detergents.
Sweese 203.109 Ceramic Tea Mug
- The mug has a capacity of 16 ounces.
- It comes with an infuser.
- Features with a well-fitting lid.
Do you like starting your day with a cup of tea? The Sweese 203.109 Ceramic Tea Mug is the best tea mug for avid morning tea lovers. The tea mug with lid inspires a splendid tea mood in you every morning.
The structure is pretty simple and easy to clean. The mug has space between the handle and the body to allow you an easy grip. Also, it is heat-insulated so you won’t have a hard time holding a hot cup of tea.
The ceramic tea mug comes in a range of colors. The package contains a micro-perforated filter to retain tea leaves from getting into your drink. With the large capacity this filter offers, you can steep small and large tea leaves all day long.
- The lid helps to keep your tea warm.
- You can choose from a range of color options.
- The filter keeps tea leaves out of your drink.
- The sides can get rather too hot when you put hot water.
How To Choose The Best Tea Cups And Mugs
Since a good cup improves the quality of the tea, you need to be very careful with the type of cup or mug you opt for. Through this buying guide, we help you to invest wisely. Consider the following factors-
Usually, traditional teacups were much smaller as tea was generally used for medicinal purposes. Such concoctions were often taken as doses. Some people still prefer smaller cups and mugs to finish taking tea when the drink is still hot.
Some people will want to have a one-off serving of their favorite drink. So, what’s the perfect amount of tea for an individual? While the answer will vary from one individual to another, your own preference should guide you into making the right decision.
- Ergonomic Use
Since tea is often served hot, tea cups should be easy to use and that’s why ergonomic design comes into focus. Consider a tea cup with a wide handle to provide a comfortable hug.
- Cosmetic Value
The design and outlook of your desired cup or mug also play a big role in how you choose a teacup or mug. You would certainly want to present your drink to guests in the most appealing manner. Along with matching your tea standards, the best tea cup set should equally meet your taste of style.
Usually, thicker models are heavier than thinner models. They have a higher ability to retain heat and keep your drink hotter for longer. However, many prefer lighter cups and mugs to heavier ones as they are easy to maneuver.
- Material And Shape
The material determines the durability of your teacup or mug. Essentially, most cups or mugs are made from glass or porcelain. Both types of materials do not spoil the taste of your tea and will do pretty well to retain heat and keep your tea warmer for longer.
As for the shape, we tackled this at the top of this article. Your preferred shape determines whether you will choose a mug over a cup or vice versa.
How To Clean And Take Care Of Tea Cups And Mugs
The following dos and don’ts not only help to improve the lifespan of your kitchenware but also help to retain its features-
- Always hand-wash your cups and mugs using a soft brush.
- Always use clean water to rinse off the cups, saucers, and mugs.
- Do not use a dishwasher frequently even if the set is dishwasher safe.
- Do not use strong alkaline or acidic detergents.
- Avoid using an oven or dryer to dry them.
- Wipe the teaware using a dry, clean, soft cloth after washing.
Choosing the right teacup isn’t everyone’s cup of tea.
Kidding aside, a great tea cup can lift your mood in the morning or complement your image in front of guests.
We reviewed some of the most popular tea cups and mugs in this article. These well-selected models are both durable and functional. Along with aesthetic pleasure, they would serve you for a long time.
Apart from the Best Tea Cups and Mugs Reviews, we also included a thorough buying guide as well as how to clean and take care of your tea cups and mugs. Hopefully, this little effort will lighten up your mornings and evenings.
Have a happy tea time!