Last Updated On October 17th, 2020
Broccoli is a super healthier food that offers antioxidants and valuable nutrients to our bodies when consumed. Though broccoli is recommended to be eaten raw for its full nutritional benefits, however, steaming broccoli retains more nutrients than boiling or frying. It is very easy and simple to steam broccoli in the rice cooker as it takes only 5 minutes to cook. In this article, I’d like to share a step by step instruction on How to Steam Broccoli in Rice Cooker perfectly. Check these easy steps so that you can prepare your favorite item easily within a short time.
Table Of Contents
- 1 The Easiest way to Steam Broccoli in Rice Cooker
- 2 Best Rice Cooker to Steam Vegetables
The Easiest way to Steam Broccoli in Rice Cooker
With these following steps, you can steam broccoli easily using your rice cooker with steam. Let’s start it
Prepare Broccoli for Steaming
- Firstly, wash the broccoli under running water. Rinse them well to ensure that any dirt particles are off.
- Cut the broccoli into florets, so that you can serve it right away and fit into the rice cooker appropriately. Cut off the stalk or bottom of the broccoli and then cut all the florets into slices.
Start Steaming Broccoli in The Rice Cooker
- Pour around 1/4 to 1/3 cup of water into the rice cooker.
- Place sliced broccoli onto a steaming rack or rice cooker steamer basket. Keep in mind, always add the bigger pieces on the bottom and smaller pieces at the top.
- Inset the rack and close the lid of your rice cooker.
- Check your manual instruction to know how long to steam broccoli in the rice cooker. However, the average time amount to steam the broccoli is around 5 minutes. Turn your rice cooker on and set the timer as well.
- Once steaming is done, turn your rice cooker off and unplug it. Leaving your appliance on the “warm” mode setting will still continue to cook the broccoli.
- Put out the broccoli from the steaming rice cooker and place them onto a plate.
Serve or Store Steamed Broccoli In Freezer or Airtight Container
You can serve them as a steamed side dish in salad or drizzle with low fat ranch.
The freezing system prolongs the lifetime of the food. The quality of the steamed broccoli is retained for 12 months when frozen. To freeze the steamed broccoli florets, spread them out on a baking sheet so that they don’t touch each other. Next, flash freeze them for about one or two hours. Pour the broccoli florets into an airtight container or resealable freezer bag with the date of when you steamed them.
Best Rice Cooker to Steam Vegetables
Here is a list of some of the best rice cookers to steam vegetables available in the market. All of these cookers will also allow you to steam your favorite items without much more effort. Let’s have a look to get more effective information.
The Aroma professional plus is more than just a rice cooker. This versatile appliance can be used to steam your vegetables and meats. The best thing is that you can steam your other meals while the rice is cooking. The aroma rice cooker steamer has a steamer tray that is removable and spacious enough to fit a decent portion of vegetables.
The Zojirushi rice cooker has a huge selection of cooking functions, including Mixed, Rice, Brown Rice, White Rice, Steam, Cake, Porridge, and Quick Cooking. Since the cooker has a steaming basket, you can prepare your veggies and other delicacies effortlessly. Overall, this is one of the best rice and vegetable steamers for the money.
This great-looking rice cooker comes with a built-in tray that you can use to steam your favourite veggies. The cooker has a chrome-plated handle that will stay cool while cooking to ensure that your hands don’t get burnt. Moreover, you can clean this cooker easily within a short time since it has a non-stick coating.
The Aroma NutriWare rice cooker comes with a stainless steel steamer basket which is made from surgical-grade 304 stainless steel. The stainless steel steamer basket doesn’t leach any harmful chemicals to rice or veggies. So you can choose it as a healthier and safer option to steam your favourite veggies or other delicious items.
Useful Tips and Tricks
There are some useful tips and tricks right below. Check them out to know more.
- To add a healthier twist to your daily meal, you can choose steamed broccoli as a side dish instead of potatoes.
- Cauliflowers require more cooking time than broccoli. So if you want to cook or steam them together, it is best to make the cauliflower florets smaller than the broccoli florets.
- For carrots and other dense vegetables, it is recommended to slice them thinly. This will help to keep the pace with their faster-cooking counterparts.
Rice cooker times and temperatures may vary to steam broccoli according to the model. So it is recommended to always check user manual instruction to set the appropriate time and temperature while cooking. Although it takes only 5 minutes to steam, however, it takes several minutes for the cooker to heat up to the right temperature. So if you’re planning on having any steamed item for dinner, allow the cooker to preheat before cooking.
- The health benefits of broccoli – Medical News Today
- Broccoli with Garlic and Ginger – Tiger
- How to Steam Vegetables in a Rice Cooker – Leaf.tv
- How to Steam Broccoli in a Rice Cooker – wikiHow