Nowadays, there are various kinds of cooking pots and pans available in the market. Hard anodized and ceramic are the two most popular types of them. Anodized and ceramic-coated cookware are widely accepted for their amazing features. Although, both of them are made of non-toxic materials as well as nonstick.
But, there are some differences between them which makes them different from each other. However, manufacturers claim that both of them are environmentally-friendly as well as safe for everyday cooking. And in this post, I’m going to discuss about Hard Anodized Vs Ceramic. I’ll share everything about these two types of cookware including their features, benefits, strength and weak points.
And hopefully, this will help you to choose the right cookware between them for your kitchen. This going to save your valuable time as well as some bucks.
Table Of Contents
Hard Anodized Vs Ceramic
In a short, both Hard Anodized and Ceramic Cookware are Non-Stick. Both types of pots and pans are suitable for everyday cooking and ideal for making any type of dish. The hard anodized cookware made of aluminum anodized materials through the electrochemical process while ceramic cookware made of ceramic, clay and other materials. And both of them non-toxic and harmful chemical-free.
Well, now I’m going to brief discussion about hard anodized vs ceramic cookware. Let’s scroll to get a clear-cut idea and distinguish them properly.
Hard Anodized Cookware
Anodization is a widely used technology for making high-quality and durable cookware set. Anodization is an electrochemical process which makes aluminum 30% harder than stainless steel. However, this technology is being popular because it makes the cookware nonstick, durable and lasts longer.
For professional chefs or those who need to cook daily, the best hard anodized cookware could be the right option for them. The manufacturers who used hard anodized aluminum on their cookware claimed this technology is environmentally friendly.
Health experts claim that the hard anodized coating covering will protect the food from directly touching the aluminum metal surfaces. In addition, there is another great feature of hard anodizing aluminum is, it makes the cookware surfaces ultra-smooth so that they become effectively nonporous. Hard anodized cookware is easy to handle and clean. This type of cookware is thinner and lightweight that makes the cooking comfortable and also enjoyable.
Pros of Hard Anodized Cookware
- Non-Toxic and healthy cookware.
- Durable as stainless steel and last for a long.
- Reasonable price.
- This kind of cookware is safe for the oven, they can resist up to 450F.
- These cookware needs very less oil to cook because they are made of a non-stick surface.
- Hard anodized cookware safe for dishwasher cleaning and some of them is resistant to prevent scratch.
- Hard anodized skillets come with an aluminum core that makes the cookware capable to distribute heat evenly.
- Hard anodized cookware has a very comfortable handle for moving it around even when it is hot.
- Available in various designs, sizes and colors.
Cons of Hard Anodized Cookware
- Some of the Hard Anodized Cookware is not safe for induction cooktops.
- Cheap Hard Anodized Cookware may be bulky.
- Too much aluminum can cause some diseases in our bodies.
- Using metal utensils can occur scratch on the surface of hard anodized pan/pot.
Ceramic coated cookware is usually made of ceramic, clay and other similar raw materials. The layer of the ceramic prevents the leaching of any harmful chemicals into food while cooking. This type of non-stick coating is normally made of inorganic minerals, oxygen, and silicone. The best ceramic cookware set does not contain any carbon or LEAD. The base of this cookware is usually made of aluminum to make the cookware a good conductor of heat circulation as well as durable.
One of the great benefits of ceramic coated cookware is the non-stick coating surface which is also free of toxic chemicals. And it’s completely free from PTFE and PFOA, that’s why there is no health issue with ceramic cookware. Manufacture’s claim that ceramic coating is safe for the environment and also for humans.
Cookware with ceramic coating can reduce the risk of high cholesterol by reducing the use of oil in cooking. Though ceramic coating cookware is safe for the oven, but it is also recommended to not use them in high heat. Ceramic coated cookware can resist up to 450F
Pros of Ceramic Cookware
- Ceramic cookware is made from natural minerals that are free of carbon and other harmful chemicals.
- Like other non-stick cookware, ceramic non-stick cookware is also easy to clean.
- Ceramic coating provides a non-stick surface which is useful to eliminate the need to use high butter or oil to prevent foods from sticking.
- One of the great advantages of ceramic cookware is they are toxin-free and safe for humans.
- This kind of cookware can easily use in the oven.
- Good quality ceramic cookware is not easy to crack and break.
Cons of Ceramic Cookware
- Ceramic cookware sets are more expensive than other usual cookware.
- The lifetime of this type of cookware is quite short.
- Not recommended to use in high heat.
- Non-stick surface gets damaged if you use metal utensils while cooking.
- Cheap ceramic cookware is not scratch proof.
Ceramic Vs Hard Anodized – Which One is Healthiest?
Hard anodized and ceramic both of them have their own features and advantages. Both of them have a non-stick coating surface which makes the cookware comfortable for cooking. Whenever you have to buy any non-stick cookware you should pay attention to the health issue. It is very important to select a brand that has been reliable and meets the FDA’s food-grade standards.
In addition, you should also follow the instructions and suggestions about how to use the cookware. Because different cookware has different rules to use properly. For example, hard anodized cookware is safe for the oven while ceramic cookware is recommended for low or medium heat. Most of the hard anodized cookware uses Teflon-based coating for their products which is free from PFOA.
Sometimes, Teflon becomes dangerous to health when the food been flaked or burned up. On the other hand, ceramic cookware uses inorganic minerals that’s means this is free from harmful materials like PFOA or PTFE.
So if you are concern very much about health issues, then you should go for ceramic cookware. They are completely safe for healthy cooking as they don’t leach chemicals while cooking. Hard anodized is also healthy, but you may need to spend a little bit more to ensure that the hard anodized cookware set you are buying is safe for healthy cooking.
When you need to buy a cookware set for your kitchen, you should check the manufacturer’s recommendation first. And secondly, compare the materials with other available options. It will be helpful to clear your confusion. Between hard anodized vs ceramic cookware, hard anodized is the best option for professional chefs or heavy uses.
On the other hand, ceramic is perfect for light uses. And, if you want a stronger, durable and last longer cookware set, you can go with hard anodized. On the other hand, if you want something very stylish and colorful you can choose ceramic cookware.