Hard anodized aluminum is used on the different types of cookware. But mostly used for manufacturing hard anodized pots and pans. It makes the cookware non-reactive to the foods and also makes the cookware more durable and strong. Meanwhile, aluminum is reactive to acidic foods and known to be poisonous.
Hard anodized aluminum with its electrochemical process has become the standard for aluminum cookware. If you are worried about the safety of this cookware and want to know “is hard anodized cookware safe?”, then this article is for you. Here, I’ll share everything which is related to the safety of anodized aluminum cookware. Hard anodized cookware pricing.
What is Hard Anodized Cookware?
Hard anodized cookware is the most popular all around the world for a long time. It is one of the most durable, lightweight, and inexpensive cookware. Moreover, aluminum is soft and does reactive to acidic food.
So that manufacturers found that aluminum can be anodized in order to make the layer of aluminum oxide thicker. Hard-anodization is an electro-chemical process that makes the aluminum 30% harder than stainless steel. Hard anodized cookware pricing.
This process makes aluminum stronger and nonreactive to the foods. Experts call this process ‘passivation’ that means it makes the metal passive vs reactive. This process creates a thick coating layer over the aluminum which is protective as well as non-stick.
Hard Anodized Vs Ceramic Cookware Check Here
Advantages and Disadvantages of Hard Anodized Aluminium Cookware
Though hard anodized cookware has some great facilities, it has some disadvantages also. There are advantages and disadvantages of anodized aluminum cookware for you. Which will help to clear your concept about this cookware regarding safety issues. Hard anodized cookware pricing.
Advantages of Anodized Aluminium Cookware
[su_list icon=”icon: check-circle” icon_color=”#008000″]
- Hard anodized aluminum is great as a heat conductor. It spreads heat evenly and perfectly.
- This cookware is lightweight and easy to handle.
- It is stable to use with metal utensils.
- This type of cookware comes with a non-stick coating that protects the foods from sticking.
- The cookware is most affordable than other usual metal cookware products.
- In general, the non-stick surface of hard anodized aluminum does not react with foods.
- Easy to clean.
- Higher grade anodized aluminum cookware is safe for the oven as well as the broiler. [/su_list]
Disadvantages of Anodized Aluminium Cookware
[su_list icon=”icon: times-circle” icon_color=”#FF0000″]
- Not good for cooking with high heat.
- Cheap grade aluminum cookware could leach metal into the foods that could be harmful to health.
- High-grade Hard Anodized cookware is a little bit expensive.
- Dishwasher cleaning may damage the nonstick surface.
- This cookware is not safe for any kind of cooking sprays.
- Even though this type of cookware is usually lightweight but the chemical coating on the cookware makes it heavier. [/su_list]
Hard Anodized Cookware Health Risks
There are some probable health risks by cooking with hard anodized aluminum cookware. The aluminum is used in the hard anodized cookware. This is the most plenty of metal component which is found in the air, water, and soil.
However, manufacturers who used anodized aluminum on pots and pans claim that it is safe for humans. They also claim that anodized aluminum leached a small amount of aluminum that’s not harmful to the human body.
The Centers for Disease Control has noted that the average adult consumes 7 to 9 milligrams of aluminum in food due to aluminum mixtures added during processing.
But too much aluminum can be poisonous and can cause harmful diseases such as anemia, bone deterioration, memory loss, and diminished kidney and liver function. Another concern about this cookware is its non-stick coating.
Nowadays, almost all the hard-anodized cookware comes with a non-stick coating surface which is from PTFE (brand name is Teflon). The non-stick coating surface could be harmful when it is scratched or exposed to high heat.
So that it is not recommended to use on high heat temperatures. It is suitable at low to medium temperature and it’s better to avoid the use of induction. Hard anodized cookware pricing.
So, Is Hard Anodized Cookware Safe?
Even though people are often uncomfortable using this cookware because of some concerns that it could be harmful. There is not any eventual scientific research which proves that the anodized aluminum is not safe for humans. Although some cheap grade aluminum cookware which does not use anodized aluminum which can react with acidic foods.
Moreover, higher grade anodized aluminum cookware would be perfectly ok for cooking your meals. The cookware that is coated with hard anodized aluminum does not allow the aluminum to leach into the foods. That means food does not in direct contact with the metal.
According to FDA reports, “The use of hard anodized aluminum cookware is not harmful to health”. So, this cookware would be the safest and healthier option for cooking your food. Hard anodized cookware pricing.
In conclusion, is hard anodized cookware safe for everyday cooking? Well, all of the information will give you a clear idea about the safety of this cookware. This kind of cookware has so many great features that will make your cook comfortable and enjoyable.
Moreover, the best hard anodized cookware is most useful for the newer cook as it is very comfortable to maintain. One more thing, the cookware that is not coated with hard-anodized aluminum or clad could be harmful to your health. To avoid this, check the manufacturer’s recommendation carefully to ensure the material that has been used on the cookware.
- Aluminum toxicity in relation to kidney disorders.
- Aluminum and dementia
- Perfluorooctanoic Acid (PFOA) Exposures and Incident Cancers Among Adults Living Near a Chemical Plant (Link)
- Teflon Out of the Frying Pan
- Anxious About Anodized Aluminum?